See Susie Reed on YouTube in a video profile made for the
Sedona Mayor's Arts Awards in honor of her Individual Artist nomination.
|Beautiful is the word most used to describe photographer Susie Reed’s photos. She sensitively captures the essence of her subjects, taking pictures so vibrant and alive people say they smell the flowers, her fruit and vegetables make their mouths water, her rock art images transport them to archaeology sites and her Sedona landscapes are as stunning as the place itself.
Susie is an award-winning photographer with extensive experience behind the camera doing fine art and commercial work. In addition to the aforementioned subjects, she also photographs people, is a tour guide, photography teacher, writer, speaker and preservationist.
She leads scenic, photo and archaeology tours in Sedona, AZ and beyond and teaches photography to individuals, groups, schools, camera clubs and others. She works with photographers of all levels who use a wide range of gear. Among the places she’s taught and spoken are California College of the Arts, Sedona Arts Center, Sedona Photofest and San Francisco Art Institute, where she received her degree with honors in photography.
Sedona Photofest speakers Susie Reed and Pulitzer prize-winning
photographer Jack Dykinga. Photo courtesy Sedona Magazine.
|Susie is an original organizer of Sedona Photofest where she taught and spoke multiple times. She was also director of their photography competition and has judged that and several other photo contests.
She primarily shoots in the field, out on location, capturing subjects as she finds them, rather than setting up shots in a studio. She's best known for her critically acclaimed pictures of Southwest rock art. Her passion for this subject was born in 1995 when she unexpectedly discovered some incredible pictographs and petroglyphs while vacationing in Sedona. She’s been photographing rock art ever since.
|In the late 90’s Susie Reed had the good fortune to meet Coconino National Forest archeologist Peter Pilles when they crossed paths at a remote rock art site near Sedona. He became her mentor and has enabled Susie to photograph several archeological sites, excavations, field schools, cultural events and more. Many of Susie’s photos from these and other shoots are in the Coconino National Forest archives.
Susie Reed's rock art photos are also permanently displayed in Sedona Visitor and Information Centers thanks to an Individual Artist Grant she received from the Sedona Arts and Cultural Commission.
"Pretty in Pink Sunset" • Cathedral Rock • Sedona, AZ • Photo by Susie Reed
|In 2005 Susie moved to Sedona, AZ from Sausalito, CA following her heart's calling to document and protect rock art. She’s been called an archeologist, conservationist and preservationist for her efforts to keep Sedona's treasured landscapes and archaeology sites from being lost to development and vandalism. She shines a spotlight on the value of special places by sharing her photos, teaching, speaking, tours, writing and advocacy.
|Susie has had several solo rock art calendars published, plus farmer's market and grapes and vineyards calendars. Betsey Bruner, the Arts and Entertainment editor for the Arizona Daily Sun, said Susie's first Southwest Rock Art calendar was, “one of the loveliest calendars to grace bookstore shelves in years.”
|Her fine art has been in major museums and galleries including the Cooper Hewitt Museum, the De Young Museum, the International Museum of Photography, the Library of Congress and Goldenstein Gallery. Her commercial clients have included Chronicle Books, the Enchantment Resort, Levis, Macys, Tiffany’s and Xerox.
She licenses her pictures through Rosenthal Represents and Murals Your Way offers a collection of her photos. She's represented by Goldenstein Gallery, which has been voted the top gallery in Sedona for 9 years running and the best place to shop in Sedona by USA Today.
|Susie has photographed award ceremonies, events, speakers and people from all walks of life. She has a way of making her subjects feel at ease. Some of the people she's photographed are well known including Tony Curtis, Nancy Pelosi, Walter Cronkite, Michael Beckwith, the Grateful Dead, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Young, Jerry Rice and others.
Much of her expertise photographing people and events comes from Susie being head of the photo crew at the California Music Awards (aka the BAMMIES - Bay Area Music Awards) for nearly twenty years. This popular annual San Francisco black-tie fundraising concert featured an array of musicians, sports legends, actors, comedians and elected officials. She received one of their awards for her years of service.
|Shortly after Susie graduated college she started doing freelance work and teaching at San Francisco Art Institute and California College of the Arts. After clients repeatedly encouraged her to put her pictures on greeting cards and other products she began doing so. Over time her merchandise was sold in department, gift and stationery stores, bookstores, hotel, airport and museum shops, catalogs, websites and other retail outlets in the U.S., Canada and abroad.
Photograph by Bert Janssen
|Susie is the founder of the annual Ancient Wonders of Sedona events, which has been held every March since 2010 in honor of Arizona Archaeology and Heritage Awareness Month. Past events include free talks, archaeology tours and gallery receptions. Susie Reed Photos, Keep Sedona Beautiful, Goldenstein Gallery and Pink Jeep Tours collaborate to put on these activities.
She is a sponsor of Keep Sedona Beautiful. She's been a corporate sponsor of the National Association of Women Business Owners and on the board of California Lawyers for the Arts for many years.
She's also served on Sedona Cultural Collaborative committees and has been nominated twice for a Sedona Mayors Arts award in the individual artist category.
Susie Reed's Select Clients:
• Atari • Chronicle Books • The Common Wealth Club
• Desert Botanical Gardens • Edible Phoenix Magazine
• Enchantment Resort • Enterprising Women Magazine
• Esprit • Foote Cone and Belding
• The Grateful Dead • KGO Radio • Levis • Macys
• Murals Your Way • National Association of Women Business Owners
• National Park Service • Ogilvy & Mather • Pacific Orchid Expo
• Pentagram Design • San Francisco Chronicle
• San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
• San Francisco Orchid Society • Santa Rosa Press Democrat
• Sausalito Arts Festival • Tiffany’s • The Time Factory
• U.S. Forest Service • Xerox
Susie Reed at Goldenstein Gallery
• Camerawork Gallery, San Francisco, CA
• Canadian Center of Photography, Toronto, Ontario
• Chicago Art Institute • Cooper-Hewitt Museum, New York, NY
• De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA
• Friends of Photography Gallery, Carmel, CA
• Goldenstein Gallery, Sedona, AZ
• Grand Canyon National Park - Kolb Studio
• International Museum of Photography, Rochester, NY
• The Library of Congress, Washington, DC
• Sedona Arts Center •The Sedona Art Museum
• San Francisco Art Institute
Susie Reed photos on display at the Sedona Art Museum
• Bay Area Music Archives, San Francisco, CA
• Coconino National Forest Archives, Flagstaff, AZ
• Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, Cleveland, OH
Select Retail Accounts:
• Amazon.com • Barnes & Noble • Bashas' • BMG
• Borders Books and Music • Calendar Club/Calendars.com
• Dillards • Disneyland and Disneyworld • Duty Free Shops
• Hallmark • Johnson Smith Catalog
• Museum of Northern Arizona Bookstore • Musicland
• Papryus • Spencer Gifts • Suncoast Motion Picture Co.
• Transworld/FYE • Universal Studios • Walgreens • WH Smith
Susie Reed teaching Sedona Arts Center Workshop
Photograph by Maike Wessel
Select Teaching, Speaker and Guest Artist:
• Arizona Camera Culb Council
• California College of the Arts, Oakland, CA
• Cal State Northridge • Goldenstein Gallery, Sedona, AZ
• Keep Sedona Beautiful • Mills College, Oakland, CA
• Prescott Camera Club • San Francisco Art Institute
• Sedona Arts Center • Sedona Photofest • The Sedona Women
• Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY
• Yavapai Digital Arts and Photo Club
• Yavapai College, Cottonwood, AZ
Select Grants and Awards:
• California Music Award
• San Francisco - North Beach Photo Fair - First Place
• Sedona Arts and Cultural Commission Artist Project Grant
* Sedona Mayors Arts Award Individual Artist Nominee
Select Photo Contest Judge:
• Keep Sedona Beautiful • Sedona Camera Club
• Sedona Photofest Red Rock Open Photo Competition Director